Uplift your Home with Beautiful Travertine
Travertine, often mistaken for limestone or marble, is a porous, sedimentary rock which has a natural matte finish. It comes in a variety of colors and variegated patterns, and it is available from small mosaic tiles to large slabs suitable for covering entire walls or for use as bench tops.
Travertine is renowned for its uneven, chiseled qualities, and it is characterized by its naturally pitted surface. Colors range from ivory to beige, gold, and walnut hues. It works beautifully both in traditional and contemporary spaces. It has been used since ancient times, and features in some of the world’s most famous monuments, including the Sacre-Coeur Basilica in Paris and the Roman Colosseum, as well as numerous temples, aqueducts, and Roman bath complexes…
Travertine is a stunningly beautiful stone, but there are some things to consider before committing to having it in your home. It is prone to easy scuffing and scratching; highly polished travertine may resist scuffing better than that with a matte finish. Travertine is also porous, and if used in areas where spills may occur, such as kitchen, bathroom, or dining room floors, it needs to be sealed so as to not be irreparably stained if a liquid spill occurs.
Travertine tile can be used in an array of ways to decorate and enhance the look and feel of your home. From bathroom and kitchen backsplash to interior flooring, it is a beautiful stone which, with some attention to looking after it, will serve you for many years to come.
How can you decorate your home with Travertine?
- Travertine tile flooring for entrance foyers or living areas results in a sophisticated yet rustic effect.
- Travertine slabs in the bathroom are elegant effects for shower recesses, vanity backsplashes, and countertops.
- Mosaic travertine tiles on shower walls will provide a unique, natural matte look which is both sophisticated and different from the norm.
- Pair light travertine against dark cabinetry in your kitchen for a dramatic look.
- Polished travertine tiles are a luxurious detail in a covered indoor/outdoor entertaining area.
- Travertine is beautiful as a facing for stone fireplaces.
- Travertine makes wonderful stepping stones and garden paths, patio walls, and even rustic pool decking which will age in the most spectacular way.
Travertine is amongst modern architecture’s most commonly used stones. It is readily available, and easy to work with. Matte or polished, it lends a sophisticated elegance to any space.
Next time we will address caring for travertine…